About voluntary recall of some products
We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused by the product recall, and are implementing quality control improvement measures as well as counter-measures for such
a regrettable event not to happen again.
Please accept our most sincere apologies.
Asahi Shuzo Co., Ltd.
1 Concerning the sequence of events that led to the product recall (products sold in japan)
|The person in charge of bottling did a product tasting before bottling and reported the sake’s taste to be lighter than usual. After analysis, it was found that the sake in question had a low amount of alcohol content.|
|↓||Beginning of analyzing the alcohol content of every lot in stock, as well
as a technical check-up on the stirring machine and a hearing of the
department in charge.
|↓||Products only made and bottled in our second Brewery were identified as products with different alcohol contents. Consequently, shipments from our second Brewery were immediately stopped.|
|September 8th, 2019 (Sunday)||After investigation, we concluded that the two staff members in charge of adding water to the genshu (17%), did not stir the sake after adding it. They neglected to do so since April of this year.
We also identified that frequent content analysis after adding water and stirring the sake was not properly conducted.
|Decided on recalling products shipped since April that may have a different alcohol content.|
|September 9th, 2019 (Monday)||After consulting with health care authorities, an official administrative
recall was not decided, so we decided on proceeding to an independent
|September 9th, 2019 (Monday)
|Starting to put in place systems for the recall for domestic sales (recall form, free dial…etc.), announcing recall procedures with each importer for export sales, as well as releasing the information to the media.|
2 Products subject to recall
If within exported products abroad, some products were to be subject to recall, they are to be exchanged with new products. Please note that different alcohol contents do not cause any health issues.
3 Concerning the measures towards affected product lots
We are undergoing product recall with the cooperation of our importers in each country, in case of affected product lots are exported to the country.
We have implemented measures such as quality control methods and changes of our organizational structure, in order to avoid such mistakes in the future.
【Changes in quality control】
- The alcohol content before and after diluting the sake was only checked by the person in charge, it will from here on be checked by the production management (either production manager or production site manager), after the person in charge of analysis had analyzed and reported the results.
- This control step will be formalized in written form, and only if the production management approve by the form with a seal, the lot could go through the bottling process.
- Implementing sampling before bottling and measuring the alcohol content by another person than the one in charge of diluting.
- ・ Implementing a random check on the final product after bottling.
【Change in our organizational structure】
- Reinforcing management and control of the concerned production team, by batching it with the sake pressing team. This will allow for one manager to be able to give directives and manage both processes altogether.
5 Concerning the recalled products
Although we have received different comments, decisions on that matter have not been reached.